Monday, June 23, 2014

PERSUADING OTHERS  Part 2

As we discussed last week, "pleasant words make a man persuasive." As leaders, if we are going to persuade or influence others, we must strive to be pleasant. Did you notice how the Apostle Paul was pleasant when he presented the gospel to the philosophers in Athens? Though he was distressed by seeing the city full of idols, he began with a pleasant approach. Instead starting with criticism, he started with a complement. "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you." Acts 17:22-23.

So often we focus on the faults of others, especially the lost. But what if we focused on their good qualities?
Even sinners have good qualities. Jesus said, "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? 'Even sinners love those who love them.'" Luke 6:32. I want to ask that we become good finders, not fault finders. Any fool can find faults in others. Just listen to one; he will run others into the dirt. As we seek to win others to the Lord, let's win them with love that sees beyond their faults, just as Jesus did with us. 

1. What positive qualities, even in small amounts, does the lost person you're reaching out to have? Write them out here and then send him/her a card or email stating such. (May I suggest that you adopt the practice of sending notes of commendation to others? This will win you friends and influence people for the rest of your life. It will be one of your most powerful practices as a leader. Try it, you'll like it and others will love you for it. As a matter of fact, I'll give you a money back guarantee on it! :) 

2. Check out the latest mini-movie for your quiver. Please pass this on to your wealth partner and any lost friends that you think it would be fitting. 
http://youtu.be/zN1r3AECook

3. Good job reading through the vast majority of Lifelines. Now that you are well familiar with it, it's time to start putting it to work for you. Share it with others. But don't give it away. Loan it out. You might say, "Hey, you've got a good head on your shoulders. Please look over the parts that interest you and give me your thoughts on it. I just need it back in a couple weeks. Thanks." This should motivate them to look it over and it will enable you to recycle Lifelines to others. Who will you loan it out to? 

Announcements/ Reminders

This week we will finish reading through the book of Acts. I hope you've been enjoying it as I have. And may the Lord use us to reach and teach others also. Starting  on July 1st, we will begin reading through a letter written by the apostle Paul, that many believe is the most important of all the letters of the New Testament. It's the book of Romans! It is so rich. Thus, we will slow down and read half a chapter per day to glean more of the gold within it. Here's the reading schedule to begin with- 

July 1- Read Romans 1:1-17
July 2- Read 1:18-32
July 3- Read 2:1-16
July 4- Read 2:17-29
July 5- Read 3:1-20
July 6- Read 3:21-31
July 7- Read 4:1-12
July 8- Read 4:13-25
July 9- Read 5:1-11
July 10 Read 5:12-21
July 11 Read 6:1-14
July 12 Read 6:15-23

Sunday July 13th will be our next NGL leadership mtg. See you there at 11:30

Until then, may you continue to enjoy the goodness of the Lord and the great summer days He's giving us. Giving thanks is our theme this month.





   




19 comments:

  1. 1. One person I have been on and off talking to about the Lord is a Maintenance man at our office. Some qualities he definitely has are that he is hardworking, intelligent, diligent, responsible, informed, and patient. I feel what is missing truly in his life is the Peace and sense of worth that only the Creator will be able give him.

    2. I will definitely look for a chance to share this video!

    3. Lifelines is such a good book, and I will be lending it out to my wealth partner, who has many questions that are answered in this book. I told him about it, and will be giving it to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good eyes to see this worker's good qualities. May the Lord continue to use you as you sow good seed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. He does not quit and is persistent, he is kind when necessary, he is loyal, he gives everything his best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your coworkers character traits sound like you...

      Delete
    2. He will certainly be encouraged when you share these great qualities you see in him. PS- You've got a very encouraging mentor, Jose!

      Delete
  4. 1. My coworker is responsible in always showing up to work, enjoys working with the adoloscent kids we work with by playing/spending time with them and taking them. These kids are wards of the state with difficult backgrounds and at times are hard to deal with. Due to their background my coworker knows how to deal with them appropriately by being compassionate and firm when needed. Lastly, he is sacrificial and hard working by staying late and working overtime when needed.

    2. I plan to share this video with believers and non-believera.

    3. I plan to share Lifelines with one of youth at my job, he is intellectually smart and has some spiritual interest which I know this book will challenge his faith...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent on all points Jose! What an impact through sowing such seeds!

      Delete
  5. 1. My weath partner has a great sense of humor, she is a natural born leader, she is organized and she is loyal to her standards. I plan on sharing the video with her as well as the lifelines book. Praise report! i caught her singing a song from K-Love the other :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yahoo! :) Keep sowing those good seeds Socorro!

      Delete
  6. One of our neighbors has talked to me off and on for a while. He recently went through a separation and obviously it has been very difficult. He has a young daughter and is dealing with being a single Dad who now has custody. He is a very dedicated Father and really wants what is best for his child. Our conversations about spiritual things usually hit a dead end but I'm going to try again since we talk a good amount in the Summer time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May he now be open to you and the Lord. I recently loaned a gospel of John to my brother-in-law Manny. I used to pray for him often. Now that he's recently retired, perhaps he will focus on spiritual things. We loaned out Lifelines to a new coworker of Diane's when she visited the church a few weeks ago. She's reading and interested. Thank You Father.

      Delete
  7. 1. He was very kind, polite, and considerate person. Unfortunately, I have lost all contact with him. Nevertheless, I have been praying for him regularly hoping that any seeds planted may eventually grow.

    2. I really enjoyed the Lifelines book. I found my original copy, so now I have two books to lend out.

    Note: I tried posting before, and it erased my post when it asked me to sign in .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are armed with two copies of Lifelines. Since the one guy is out of the picture for now, then who could you commend first and then soon afterward loan a Lifelines to? Go get em tiger!

      Delete
  8. I definitely see a lot of great qualities in the unsaved people on my heart. Heart-warming, fun to be around type of people. They have commented on some of the changes in my life, allowing me for an opportunity to talk about the One who changed my life. Just plan on casting a vision in a series of encouraging letters, emails, and meetings over the next several weeks.

    3. Let one of our young adults, who is new in the faith, borrow Lifelines. He has some questions, but is really open and moldable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent Eddie! Enjoyed the walk with you too. You a re a very enriching person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Some good qualities i've noticed are being kind, respectful, helpful whenever i need it, caring,
    3.) I will loan the book to my brother Brandon. I've noticed he looks up to me sometimes and seeks my approval at times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) My coworker is great with talking to people and helping them, she wants to do her part to make the world a better place. She is others oriented.
    2) I will be sending the video to my coworker!
    3) I will also be lending her the lifelines book. What’s perfect is that I have already been talking to her about some of the things written in there, such as why do good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people. I wish I had two of these books because I already have another two people in mind to lend this to! What a great tool! Thank you for introducing this great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very good Sarah! Re. Lifelines, Ask and you shall receive.

    ReplyDelete